Ironman Canada Race Report

“The Tin Man”
Why?
In my head I have not yet performed well in an ironman race. Each one either had crummy conditions, or I had some issue that prevented me from performing to my expectations. I wanted redemption. I wanted to get through a race clean. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it.
Last winter we were up skiing at Whistler with the Elton’s and Heidi fell in love with the place. While there she said “We are coming back next summer to watch our buddies’ race. Since you will be training with them anyway, you may as well sign up for the race”. That really meant she did not want to hear me complain about my buddies having more fun than I did.
It didn’t take long for me to sign up and made the decision to upgrade my P5, which was replaced by Cervelo since my P4 had a frame failure. Several thousand dollars later I had my dream bike. I love toys!
The Training
I fumbled through doing what I could do to train based on the time I had available and the circumstances of life. I sort of wish I could have trained more to do as well as many in my age group who no longer work and the Ironman is their full time job, but I do have better things to do.
I also did not want to provoke another heart condition like I did last year with the cardiologist saying “you need to quit” and “you could die out there”. Screw that opinion. I have a life to live, so Bonsai, I am in
Final Days Before the race
We loaded up into our trusty “Krissabago” and Heidi, Sierra, and Heidi’s dad Doug made the trek up meeting up with our training group and my 29 new buddies at Raise the Bar.
I got a little emotional during athlete check in. I popped a few tears because I was so honored to have made it that far. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford such an adventure. Someday this ride will be over, but for now I get to participate in the biggest mental, emotional and physical challenge I am able to find. I dismissed the emotional stuff to eating too much chicken laced with estrogen.
There was a lot of buzz about the weather forecast changing and looking potentially dreadful. I ran into John B. before the race and he had mentioned the conditions I had raced in before (extreme heat at St George, cold at Tahoe, windy at St. George and Coeur d’ Alene) and that I put a curse on the day!
The Swim
I am not a fan of the in water mass start like they had at Alta Lake. I chose my spot where I had the shortest distance to the first turn combined with hopefully not getting slammed on too hard. I had a few head kicks and almost lost my goggles a few times but it was OK.
About half way through the swim I heard noise I have never heard before. Raindrops on the water! It was dumping mass quanties of rain!
Swim time 1:26. Just a tad bit slower than I expected, but OK. I was good with that.
It was great to see Heidi, Sierra, Kathy M and several other RTB supporters exiting T1 standing there cheering in the rain. For them I think a donut shup would have been more desirable.
The Ride
T1 was a mess as it was dumping rain. I knew the changing tents would be packed, so I grabbed my stuff and changed outside. I thought I would be warm enough with arm warmers on. I got out on the highway and was almost instantly soaked and cold.
Riding down to Callahan I got colder. Riding up the hill I got colder and the temperature dropped climbing to a higher elevation.
Riding down to Callahan, I got colder as my exertion level dropped going downhill. I almost crashed going too fast into a corner. (That got my heart rate up quickly)
Riding back into Whistler I got a foil pack of something, but could not open it because my hands were inoperable. The good news was the cold feet pain was gone because I could not feel them!
Nice crowd support. I think the people cheered louder since they knew we were all suffering out there.
Oops, I was a naughty boy guilty of unsportsman like conduct. I had some dude stuff me while passing several times, once forcing me to clip a cone. After a few of those I yelled at him very clearly “Move over A#&&%(e”. The unfortunate thing is it will not be the last time I will deal with him that day.
When I die, I hope to replay my top 10 memories of my life right before I kick off. One of them got kicked out and replaced by my ride down to Pemberton. Not only was it pretty, but I was able to use my expertise in descents as well as the aerodynamic advantages of my P5 to go extremely fast. I love going fast and the faster the better! My garmin data said I hit 48.5 MPH and held that speed for several minutes. Not bad on rain slick roads with spots of standing water.
The rain quit and I warmed up while riding the very scenic Pemberton flats. There my buddy Mark Casey blew past me like I was standing still. He said, “C’mon, let’s go! Keep up with me!” In my head I said “No thanks, I am going to ride my ride and be smart about it”
The ride back up to Pemberton was the expected challenge. Sure did love those new 11-28 gears. Thanks Brad at NW Tri and bike. It took him a lot of words to talk me into those, but he was right.
I thought I held a reasonable power output knowing nobody wins the race on the ride, and there was still 26.2 miles to run, so don’t blow myself up yet.
Ride time 6:01. I had the second fastest bike split in my age group! I moved up from 56thplace out of the swim to 10th place after the ride! Yay Me!
The Run
I knew I was in trouble on the run as soon as my feet hit the ground. My legs were stiff and simply would not move. I thought they would loosen up in a few miles but they did not. I ran like the tin man. I think I got too cold on the ride and stiffened up like an old guy. Or, maybe not enough bricks, but I did plenty of those.
Speaking of old guys, I got passed up by dozens of them on the run. I am amazed at how fast a 57 year old guy can run a marathon after a ride like that. 3:34? Really?
Passing our RV site at 7k I ran into Heidi, Sierra, Doug and my new cheerleader, a blow up doll with a RTB kit on. Cleaver…Doug at the age of 73 stood out there in the rain all day cheering. The next day he hurt more than I did.
I started a melt down at mile 10ish. By 15, I was dizzy, disorientated, weaving, and had a sharp pain in my left shoulder blade going down to my left arm. I had these symptoms last year which provoked the trip to the cardiologist. I stopped at and aid car and asked them to check me out. I thought my day was over as I did not want to kill myself for a $3.00 (Canadian) medal. They did an EKG, it was clean. Blood pressure and heart rate good. Blood sugar test, low! I figured I knew what I needed to do, so than rather wait until the medical team boss showed up to clear me to start again, I shuffled onto the special needs, got my trusty new favorite sports drink Ensure Plus, slammed it down, drank some chicken broth and kept on trucking like the tin man.
Nice running with Ryan Downing and Ray Brenkus. Well done boys!
I kept telling myself the last 8 long miles. Don’t stop. Run like Heidi. Don’t quit. Just keep running.
I had a mental dilemma in my head. Is it better to count more shorter kilometers or fewer longer miles?
My stick legs were shot when I came into Whistler Village. It was mean of them to have us run uphill the last half mile or so before entering the chute. I so wanted to quit but could not with so many people watching.
Run time 4:55
Finish time 12:49
18th in age
I did it! I did not resort to walking. I wanted to run (I guess I ment death march or shuffle) the marathon except for some of the hills and aid stations, and so I did! I am very proud of myself I was able to accomplish that.
Seeing Heidi, Sierra and Doug at the finish line was a very warming encouraging thing for me knowing I had their support and were cheering me on.
I also loved seeing my pals and the RTB support family and crew out there. Passing out Hi 5s and even a few hugs makes my day.
After the race was over I shuffled over to the changing tent. Who do you suppose was there? The French guy wearing the goofy shorts I called an A#&&%(e. Since both of us hurt too bad to move, I apologized for my rudeness. You never know what words, thoughts or actions may affect the lives of others, and how some day we will have to fess up!
I survived what some call the toughest day in the Ironman. Tahoe was colder, but I was able to dress for that. St George was extremely hot, but walking/shuffling was an option. There was no place for me to hide from the bone chilling core temperature cold.
What’s next?
Who knows. Today after eating a 4 egg omlet with lots of cheese I had a birthday cake chaser. I liked that!
Riding mountain bikes looks like fun!
I need to smile and chat more even when I am hurting. No sense being a sour puss in such a spectacular event like that.
My run sucks. Maybe I should work harder on that.
A few 70.3 mile races this year. Those outta be a piece of cake!
Have more fun. Help more people.
Get back to work at a real job that pays money.
Maybe buy a Subaru since they were great sponsors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody Has a Story

Thankfulness

Most People Don't Realize What They Are Capable Of