How To Run Faster

About 30 years ago I rode with a guy named Mark D. Our speeds matched exactly making us great riding buddies. We rode a lot of miles together. And, I liked the guy!

30 years later, we bump into each other doing triathlons. The funny thing was in almost all the races, were were on the run course at almost the same time! The good news is I was able to out run him for the grudge match win. Agony for him. It was interesting after so many years we were still the same speed.

Then one day he out ran me. Several times in fact. Not only was I shocked, but also in awe at the speed in which he pulled it off. He then revealed his secret. He said, “for every 5 pounds lost, you will run 20 seconds faster per mile with all other factors remaining the same” So, he dropped 30 pounds and is now wicked fast.

Nobody likes to hear that. I think because if you are like me, you like beer and doughnuts (Not really). I had notice however, that in the time since we last rode, I did pork on about 20 pounds when I am at the heaviest of the year, which is after the holidays.

Due to health concerns, not because I wanted to run or ride faster, I decided to clean up my diet. Not that I am the nutrition expert, but I made a few wise changes. Simple changes like…eat less! (There is a saying in the great state of Wisconsin. If you want a fat pig, feed it lots of corn. Less corn = skinny pig) Avoid breads. Decrease alcohol consumption. Read food labels. If it said something like “hydrogenated bla bla bla” or “high fructose bla bla bla, I would not eat that. Then came the ultimate insult. A vitamixer for the old guys birthday. It enabled me to grind up all sorts of miserable things like vegetables and formulate them into somewhat of a edible food source I refer to as “sewage”.

The result of that was weighing 15 pounds less than I did at the start of the year.

And then, the statement Mark D said about the 5 pounds = 20 seconds per mile came true! On the run and on the bike.

Along with other benefits. My legs don’t’ hurt because my shoes were worn out. My legs hurt because I was carrying around too much lard.

Who could not use to shed some lard?

Some people spend and extra $3000 to $5000 to loose 5 pounds off their bike so they can go fast. Good news! Save the cash, loose the weight and enjoy the benefits. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody Has a Story

Thankfulness

Most People Don't Realize What They Are Capable Of