I just got done witnessing the famed Boston Marathon.

Some did great!

Some did as expected.

Some (like me) did not qualify.

There are great reasons some run and do great. Mostly because they had a perfect collision of desire, decision, health, time to train, age, opportunity and physical ability.

The are other great reasons some people don’t show up. Lack of time, desire, health or physical ability or it is just not Their time in life to do that right now.

However, one could make the case that there were a lot of people out there with some really great reasons not to run, yet were. I witnessed people without legs running. Some blind. Even some without legs at all! (Push rim). Several are very overweight and poorly conditioned. No doubt there were those with heart conditions and cancer survivors that were having the time of their life because they chose to do so.

True to some extent life is what you make it!

There are also some legit reasons to sit that one out. I suspect a common one is the phrase “Maybe This Will Go Away” comes into play.

Meaning, some have bad excuses not to participate in a physical activity. Excuses like “I don’t have the time” but sleep in until 7 or later on weekends. Or, “I can’t until I get that 20 pounds off”

I have seen  “Maybe This Will Go Away” come back and haunt you into a really good reason not to participate.  “Maybe This Will Go Away” thinking is why people ignore for years a pain in their middle back that radiates down their left arm when they run really hard until they end up face down on a race course with their heart rate at 224.

I could not count how many times I hear I thought “Maybe This Will Go Away” as people drag their miserable low back’s into my office only to find out they have a chronic condition left to deteriorate into a permanent impairment.

Yes, there is whining about “me leg hurts”. That is an excuse.

There are also legit stuff you really should have checked out by a professional before it becomes a legitimate reason not to participate.

And don’t forget to do what they told you even if you don’t like it! Don’t tell anybody, but I did that before and it never worked out to my benefit.
I suspect we all want to live a long time and have a lot of fun in the process. Find doctors or other health providers that support those ideals.

Don’t be a negative statistic. Be one of those with a big grin on your face because you overcame what some may seem to be insurmountable odds to be your own personal hero!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody Has a Story

Thankfulness

Most People Don't Realize What They Are Capable Of