3 Marathons in 4 days

“The stupidest thing I planned to do”
Why?
Last year I knew a guy that ran the quadzilla (4 marathons in 4 days).  He passed me up before the halfway point at the Seattle marathon never to be seen by me again.  That had my curiosity up. How was he able to do that?
Mark Casey and Heidi Kriss were also pressuring me to do this for most of the year.  I really did not want to do it. I feared training myself to run slow and/or hurting myself. It sounded painful and dangerous. I wanted a way out where I could save my precious pride, so I developed an exit plan so I could quit anytime during their run if I felt like it.
In the end I thought that I’m not much of a runner, especially a fast one, and maybe I will learn something to help me reach higher levels of performance.  Then, if others with less levels of fitness can do it, so can I. Also if I can do it, why would I not at least give it the best shot I could?
The training
I packed in several long runs week after week.  I practiced running at a lower heart rate for me, only to find out I could run a lot longer and felt very good.  For the first time in two years I had no pain or nagging injuries.  I felt quite confident in my run, however my last marathon was the Portland marathon and I got beat on pretty good last 2 miles.  I am pretty sure it was from eating bad Gu.
Run #1, The Wattle Waddle, Thanksgiving Day  215933_4530636838335_747551238_n
This run went from Gas Works park out 10 miles and back 10 miles was another 3 mile out and back added on.  I did stick to my low heart rate regardless of pace until 17 miles.  After that time I just wanted to get the day done, so I started to run faster.  As my heart rate went up, I got tired, bored and hurting. I started walking when my heart rate went up but noticed if I started walking before I blew up, I could walk almost as fast as my slow jog.  That turned out to be a very handy skill to know.
Around mile 20 the candy corns came back to haunt me! I remembered the big bowl of candy corn laying around. I asked Heidi to throw those things out. I didn’t want to do it because I like eating them so much, so I kept nibbling on them until they were gone. Before race day I packed on about 4 pounds and I felt like a bloated whale hauling those things around. I felt like my belly button was a giant candy corn leading the way on this run205571_10151327631176031_359970193_n
Run #1 was done. I did not like that run much. I was badly chaffed, very tired and discouraged. I finished the run in 4:17. One look at the clock and I wanted to do was head for the car and go home in discouragement wondering how I was going to survive the next few days. Heidi and Mark were already done and recovered. They had great runs.
Friday was the day of the wishbone which opted not to do. Glad I did to since it was pouring down rain and it sounded like conditions were miserable. Instead I had my own marathon of going up and down ladders installing Christmas lights in the rain
Run #2, the Ghost of Seattle
I had very mixed emotions going into this run. I sorta wanted to go because many of my buddies were going to be there. Mark was all pumped up about it. It was on his 3rd day and feeling great. I figured I would run the first 6 miles and see how it went. If I was OK, I would continue, but in my head I had no plans to run further than 13.1 miles because I wanted to save myself to run the Seattle Marathon better.
What I learned on this run is so long as I ran relaxed and with a mid foot strike, I could keep moving forward at a decent pace and not hurt! It was like running lessons!
I got to the half at 2:00 and was still unsure what to do. My feet chose to keep going, so around Seward Park again I went, thinking I will bail at mile 18. Silly feet….When they got to the start/finish line they just kept on moving ahead, and I kept feeling better!
I have heard people talk about endorphins when they run or exercise. After doing the stuff I have done over the years I still had no clue what they are. All I ever did is hurt. But, on that last loop I started having fun, feeling better and was starting to count my maniac stars in my head!
Again, Heidi and Mark finished way ahead of me as did everybody else. I finished last of my homies, but I did finish.
Run time 4:11
I felt great when I was done. Heidi and Mark tried to get me to stand in the lake for an ice bath for my legs. No way am I that tough…
968_4548782851974_1734394370_n
Run #3 The Seattle Marathon
I love the Seattle Marathon because it is like playing with fire. You can use fire to cook food and stay warm, but also as a weapon and it can cause pain. The hills at the end of the marathon can pose a big problem for the over-confident.  Personal experience told me to go out slow and stay in my low heart rate until sometime after the last half, then to start gradually picking up the pace.
At the start line, we saw Faye Brit, the 4:10 pacer. Shortly after the race start I told Heidi I didn’t want to see that 4:10 pace sign anymore and that I would do almost anything to stay ahead of that sign.
I took off running at a comfortable pace in my heart rate zone. I was focused on my running form and moseying along. My pace was very steady, and after a few miles I started to feel pretty good!
At about mile 10 until 14 I encountered mental difficulties. I didn’t want to run any more, but I was determined to get the run done. I felt miserable but I was feeling great!  I wanted to quit, but there was no way I was going to. I was fearful of breaking down and walking myself into embarrassment, but I felt good enough to keep on running. I felt like my pace was really slow, but my watch told me I was running at a very consistant desirable pace!
After leaving Seward Park, I laid my head trip to rest by telling my negative brain spasms to shut up and go away. I said to myself “Self, you got this in the bag! Only 11 miles to go…let’s get this done” I jacked up my heart rate 5 beats, and I started passing people. I did walk the first 2 hills after Leshi, but my walking pace was still passing people! At mile 20, regardless of the hills I stopped looking at my watch and focused on form and thinking my happy thoughts. Those miles began to fly by.
Oh Oh, I got passed by the 4:10 pace sign. Ugh…I told the pacer (who was not Faye Brit) that I didn’t want to see her anymore. She said I better run fast and stay ahead of her, so I did the best I could do to do that, but she passed me anyway. That was discouraging, but I shook it off and kept going. Fortunately she did not have anybody following her.
Shortly before mile 25 there was a guy calling out the race time. 3:53 What?? What about the pacer? How did I get that fast? Could I go under 4 hours? May as well give it a try!
Sprint to the end…
I thought I saw 4:04! I checked my watch. It said 4:04! I was thrilled with my time! I ran only 2 minutes positive in the last half!
Heidi ran a 3:41..Simply amazing that she can do that…63102_4548777211833_406176066_n
What did I learn?
One of my stupidest things turned out to be an accomplishment I am the most proud of!
I can do it!
A decision is powerful! Deciding not to quit, mental determination and will made my body respond to my brain’s command.
Running does not damage your knees if you run correctly and train appropriately. Mine are just fine and I am a runner! I may not be the fastest on the block, but I can get it done and still walk and talk and tell a story!
My brain was better when I decided to stop whining, grumbling and complaining inside myself. It is negative energy. Shut yourself up and run
You can’t earn pride sitting on the couch.
Do it with others…it’s better!
What’s next?
Time off. Chill for a while. Run more half marathons, 10ks and 5ks. Ride more. Get ready for the big one..Ironman Lake Tahoe…September 22..Now I feel confident with proper training  I can do it and maybe, just maybe…that will be the epic race……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody Has a Story

Thankfulness

Most People Don't Realize What They Are Capable Of